Many gamers were initially skeptical about Warner Bros. and New Line’s DC Comics adaptation, but the critics were wrong. DC Universe Online is a much-needed entry in the superhero sandbox and it delivers excellent game play and robust features.
It’s a free-to-play online multiplayer game that launched officially on August 14, 2016. DC Universe Online offers a robust suite of gameplay features at no extra charge, including many cosmetic options, player-versus-player combat, an upgradable character, and more.
The game is incredibly ambitious and it offers a lot of content that players can enjoy or pay for. With thousands of active players on a daily basis, it’s clear that Warner Bros. and New Line’s gamble on DC Universe Online was well-thought-out. This is an incredibly popular online game with thousands of players from around the world on a daily basis. If you’re looking for a free-to-play online multiplayer game with excellent gameplay, then DC Universe Online is a must-try for you.
Why Is It Popular?
To begin with, DC Universe Online has an incredibly robust feature set that isn’t bogged down by subscription fees or microtransactions. As a result, the game has a very large and active player base who are constantly engaged in gameplay. This is a game that you can play entirely for free with no restrictions other than the server you play on.
One of the reasons why DC Universe Online has been so successful is because of its blend of the storyline and gameplay elements from the Arkham series and the World of Warcraft.
Arkham games tell a story of a detective who gets caught in an endless cycle of violence as he fights against various supervillains. However, in the game itself, you’re not only a detective but you also play the role of Batman or the Joker in an attempt to stop the villain’s latest criminal scheme. The result is an incredible gameplay experience with an excellent story that draws you in and keeps you coming back for more.
Similarly, World of Warcraft is another game that blends an in-game quest-based narrative with a massively multiplayer online environment. In World of Warcraft, you help to protect the countryside from harm as you travel the land exploring villages, fighting monsters, and completing quests for townsfolk. The game is renowned for its excellent graphics and realistic environment, making it one of the most popular games worldwide.
In DC Universe Online, you play as a superhero who’s either fighting for good or evil depending on your decisions. The game begins with an opening cinematic where you’re introduced to the world of DC and the roster of playable characters. This is a game that will draw you in right away with its beautiful vistas, imaginative environments, and colorful cast of characters.
Then, you’re free to explore the game’s huge world map and meet with other players to complete missions, battle monsters, and interact with the game’s inhabitants. The developers behind the game have an excellent track record when it comes to creating realistic and immersive online environments and gameplay.
The Game’s Impressive Features
One of the reasons why DC Universe Online has been a success is because of its expansive feature set. At no additional cost, the game offers an incredible amount of content and gameplay options that most players will find useful. Let’s take a quick look at what DC Universe Online has to offer:
- An expansive and detailed online manual that details the basics of gameplay, including how to create a character, how to move around the game’s environments, and how to perform basic tasks like asking for help or buying items. (Practical)
- A robust feature set that includes many gameplay options and innovations like the player-versus-player (PvP) arena, where players can battle it out in an attempt to be the best. (Innovative)
- A massive world map that players can explore with its own set of sub-plots and story-related events that update based on player activity. (Immersive)
- Excellent visual quality that is supported by a robust game engine and an inventive use of lighting and particle effects. (Beautiful)
- An upgradable character, Omega, who players can customize with hundreds of different options and attributes. (Personalized)
- An array of powerful and versatile player-versus-player gear, like the Black Mamba outfit worn by Arnold Schwarzenegger in the movie Predator. (Fun)
- Innumerable side-quests and tasks that give you a small glimpse into Batman’s (the player’s character’s) backstory and progress through the entire DC universe. (Content)
- Hundreds of different enemy types that offer a diverse range of gameplay styles and strategies. (Variety)
- A clan system that allows players to organize themselves into groups with a shared bank, shared stash, and even shared housing. (Cozy)
- An auction house where players can buy and sell items for gold or in-game currency.
- Over 100 million downloads on all platforms (Mobile, Console, and Desktop) globally.
- Active forums with a vibrant community.
- A special event celebrating the 10th anniversary of the Arkham series that takes place in Arkham itself.
- A special event where players can fight virtual versions of their favourite movie and TV stars like Arnold Schwarzenegger and Tommy Lee Jones.
- New content added on a regular basis, ranging from story-related missions and events to new character appearances and costumes.
The list of features could go on and on, but hopefully, this gives you an idea of some of the many reasons why DC Universe Online is such a popular game. If you’re looking for an immersive story where you can become a hero and save the world, then DC Universe Online is the game for you.
Server Issues And Technical Hints
When it comes to playing online multiplayer games, technical issues are a common problem, especially when it comes to free-to-play games. When these issues are magnified by thousands of players, they can quickly turn from a minor irritation to a huge pain in the ass. Fortunately, there are some things you can do to minimize these issues, including playing on a server that’s more stable, connecting to other players using a VPN, and turning off any wireless devices (including your phone) while playing. Doing these things can help make the game smoother and more stable.
To be clear, though, the technical issues that plague DC Universe Online aren’t entirely the developer’s fault. The game uses Amazon’s DynamoDB, which is an object-relational database that acts as a central hub for all game information. The database itself has been plagued by issues since its early access release, which the developer acknowledges and states that they’re working to fix. For the time being, the team recommends using an external database software, like MyDB or Redis, to get the most out of your experience.
In terms of what you need to play, DC Universe Online is certainly not the most streamlined game. When it comes to character creation, there are a number of steps involved. In addition to picking your character’s name and gender, you’ll need to decide on three attributes: Strength, Dexterity, and Intelligence (or Specialization if you’re playing a particular specialization). Additionally, you’ll need to choose a class, which has four branches: Warrior, Magician, Assassin, and Explorer. Once you’ve made your selection, you’ll then need to browse through a list of options that correspond with your chosen profession and level up.
While character creation takes a while, it’s not the worst interface the game has seen. The character model isn’t bad, however, it’s not great either. At various points in the game, you’ll encounter characters of various sizes with varying degrees of facial hair. Despite this, the developers assured me that they’ve optimized the character model so that it looks good at all times.
Then, there’s the issue of input methods. Since the game is designed for users with either keyboard or mouse and camera controls, it doesn’t exactly take advantage of all the features available on your platform.
On the subject of cameras, I was frequently frustrated by some of the game’s input delays. The camera can be very finicky when it comes to working with certain controllers, especially the Xbox One controller. Additionally, I encountered a number of bugs where certain objects or characters would disappear for no apparent reason. This would result in me having to start all over again, which is incredibly frustrating when you’re playing a free-to-play game.