The latest entry in the popular Grand Theft Auto (GTA) series, Grand Theft Auto Online (GTA 5 Online), is now available on PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One. Developed by the legendary Rockstar Games, players can explore the entire country of San Andreas and interact with hundreds of other gamers at once through the various heists and missions. While the game offers a variety of activities, the focus is more on causing as much mayhem as possible within the limits of the law. This includes everything from committing robberies and killing people to taking down drug dealers and corrupt politicians. All of these actions can be done for money, which can then be used to purchase weapons, vehicles, and other items necessary for the player’s success in the game.
Like previous titles in the series, such as Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and Grand Theft Auto V, GTA 5 Online is primarily a third-person shooter where the player assumes the role of a professional criminal committing various acts of aggression against civilians and law enforcement.
The difference with this entry is that players have a much wider array of options when it comes to committing these acts of violence, not just the three standard races (White, Black, and Hispanic) found in previous GTA games. As a result, the game allows for much more flexibility when it comes to creating a character that suits the player’s preferred playstyle. Customization options include choosing the player’s race, sex, hairstyle, facial hair, and eye colors. Further refining one’s character takes place through the use of unique, one-of-a-kind outfits that can be purchased from the in-game boutique. These clothes compliment the player’s existing attire, whether it be a 3-piece suit or a pink leisure suit.
There are six job categories within GTA 5 Online, each of which offers a unique set of skills that can help the player succeed in the underworld. These include:
- Thief – Stealing is a popular way to make quick money within the game. The player will randomly encounter individuals and teams of enemies as they explore the city, and then the player must choose whether to steal their possessions or destroy their vehicles. While driving and swimming gives the player a tactical advantage, being a skilled thief offers even more advantages, such as faster travel speeds and the ability to perform certain actions unnoticed. A player who chooses this specialization can become a professional burglar that breaks into houses, steals cash, and performs other high-risk robberies without any risk of being caught.
- Pair Up – One of the most popular activities within GTA 5 Online is creating a team of two or more players and then driving them toward a common goal, such as a specific area of the city or a certain amount of cash. Once the goal is reached, the players switch roles and the game continues. This can lead to some interesting team dynamics as players try to work together towards a common goal while also going through the motions of a crime spree that is rapidly depleting their bank accounts.
- Sex Worker – One of the most popular activities in GTA 5 Online is performing sexual acts for money. The player chooses a sex act (such as a striptease or strip poker) and then must choose whether to perform it solo or with a partner. If with a partner, they must decide whether to act as a threesome or a duo. As with the Thief specialization, this job offers a wide array of advantages, such as the ability to choose where and when to perform the sex act, as well as the ability to work with others to complete certain tasks while also making quick money.
- Criminal – Similar to a Thief, but with the emphasis on committing crimes rather than breaking into homes and businesses, the Criminal specialization works towards taking down other players and large groups of enemies in a variety of ways, such as through ambushes and well-planned heists. This job also offers the ability to work with a partner towards reaching a common goal and also makes the player more susceptible to being arrested or killed by police officers.
- Outlaw – Similar to a Criminal, but with the emphasis on doing whatever the player wants rather than following a set of preconceived plans, the Outlaw specialization provides the player with the creative freedom to commit almost any crime imaginable. This includes the ability to rob and kill civilians as well as other law enforcement officers.
- Merc – The Merc specialization allows the player to buy and sell illegal goods, as well as to assassinate other players, all using a variety of weapons. The player must decide how much they want to risk versus reward relative to this job, as it is probably the most dangerous of the six available job options. While this can provide the player with a lot of money, it also makes them a marked man or woman. If they get arrested, they’ll have a lot of explaining to do.
- Black Market – Similar to a Merc, but with the emphasis on purchasing weapons, vehicles, and other items that can be used for illegal activities, such as selling drugs or counterfeiting currency, the Black Market specialization provides the player with a lot of flexibility in defining their character. The player must decide how much they want to risk versus reward relative to this job, as it requires a lot of money and a lot of travel, often taking them out of the country. This is where the real fun begins, as they are essentially free to travel to any place and time they want to and to interact with almost anyone they want without having to worry about getting caught. It also provides them with the freedom to experiment with different styles and to create unique outfits that can be used in-game.
Each of these job classes has a set number of requirements that the player must meet before they can become fully vested and receive their special benefits. For example, to become a Thief, the player must complete 15 set-piece robberies and then must meet certain criteria, which include a certain number of successful and attempted thefts. If they fail to meet these requirements, they cannot progress to the next level of this job class. Additionally, players cannot select this specialization if they have a criminal record, are on probation, or are on parole. Finally, after completing various tasks as a successful Thief, the player has the opportunity to enroll in a gang-affiliated organization, which provides benefits associated with this job class. Players receive a 25% discount at selected locations and can gain access to safe havens, hidden identities, and private property.
Like many other popular MMOs and third-person shooters, GTA 5 Online can be highly addictive and can lead to significant performance issues for the player if they are not careful. The game was designed to be played in short bursts, either during free time or while waiting for others to join a team so that they can go on another heist or mission. Players who choose to play this game for longer than necessary run the risk of suffering from performance issues, such as slow reaction times, memory loss, and other ailments that can be attributed to prolonged computer use.
How to Make Money Quickly
One of the most significant differences between GTA 5 Online and earlier titles in the series is that there are now several ways for the player to make cash quickly, not just through robbery and other illegal activities. These range from doing simple tasks for other players to create a digital copy of themselves to selling and buying property within the city. With the money the player makes, they can then purchase more illegal goods, which offers further opportunities for quick cash generation.
On the opposite end of the spectrum, the more the player succeeds in committing crimes and other illegal activities, the greater the risk of being arrested or killed by law enforcement. This creates an interesting dilemma for the player, as they must weigh the desire for quick money against the risks of being caught and punished for their crimes.
In addition to offering a new way to make quick cash, GTA 5 Online also has new ways for players to distribute and manage their accumulated wealth. These include using a trust fund to obtain construction permits to build more luxurious houses and taking advantage of a real-life stock market where players can invest in various stocks, bonds, and other corporate entities. These businesses then pay the player based on a variety of factors, such as the player’s actions and the number of people they assist.
This is very similar to a MMORPG (massively multiplayer online role-playing game), like World of Warcraft, where players can choose to specialize in one of several distinct job classes, such as a Tailor or a Fisherman, and can then use their equipment and crafting skills to create unique outfits and items that can then be sold for money. Similarly, within GTA 5 Online, players can become specialized in one of several criminal activities, such as stealing cars or selling drugs, and can then use their acquired skills to complete heists and other randomly generated missions for money.