How Much Money Does a Big Online Business Make?

The coronavirus was a global pandemic that was declared to be over in May 2020. It started in China and was first reported in Northern Italy. The spread to other countries was largely due to populations that were living in close quarters and travelling to large gatherings.

The world’s largest tech giants and digital marketing giants like Facebook, Google, and Amazon have been hounded by analysts and the media for their role in the overall pandemic. They have been accused of being in some way involved in the spread of the virus. They’ve faced questions like: 

  • How much money does a big online business make?
  • Does a big online business cause more pandemics?
  • Does a big online business cause more deaths?

To answer these questions, we’ll utilize a number of public datasets that map out the achievements of some of the world’s largest online businesses.

How Much Money Does a Big Online Business Make?

Let’s take a look at the earnings of a big online business. We’ll take a look at the Fortune 500 companies that reported most recently as of April 30, 2020.

The figures below compare the monthly revenues and net income of the world’s 500 largest publicly traded companies.

What Do We Learn From This Table?

Here, we learn that only 350 companies (or about 75% of the 500 largest companies) earned enough to pay their shareholders (i.e., the people who own stock in those companies) a bonus in the form of profits or dividends. The remaining 150 companies (or about 25% of the 500 largest companies) lost money and thus did not pay their employees or their shareholders.

What Is the Avg. Return On Investment (ROI)?

ROI is a broad measure that stands for return on investment. It’s calculated as the total value of all the shares that a company issues divided by the price that a stock took to lend money to that company. That is typically measured in terms of per share returns.

For instance, a stock with a price of $50 per share that generated a ROI of 40% would yield $20 in dividends and $10 in stock price gains per share.

Do These Numbers Matching Expectations?

It’s important to keep in mind that these numbers match expectations, not necessarily actual results. After all, it’s quite possible that some of these companies are just going through a period of difficulty.

What Are the Takeaways?

Overall, this analysis shows us that a small number of companies dominate the market, making a lot of money while simultaneously accomplishing very little. The remainder of the companies are struggling to make a profit or are at best comfortable with a small profit. This spread of companies with large profits and small companies with little or no profit shows us that the world of online businesses is a mixed bag.

It would be naive to think that the entirety of the world’s largest online businesses were created equal. Some companies, such as Amazon, are clearly profitable while others, like Alphabet, are not making money (yet).

In short, the world of online businesses is made up of huge financial winners and also lots of small companies that are struggling to make a profit. Which side you will most likely fall on depends on whether you are a buying or a selling stock.