Being the owner of a web-based business can be very lucrative; however, those who choose to get into this type of venture should know what they are getting themselves into. The key to making money off online ads is first and foremost creating high-quality content that is valuable to your target audience. When you can combine that with some shrewd online marketing, you can be sure to strike it rich. The following paragraphs will guide you on how to make money off online ads…
Find Your Niche
If you’re reading this article, there’s a good chance that you’re already familiar with the term “affiliate marketing”. If not, it’s pretty much the same as paying someone to share a link to your business or product on social media sites like Twitter or Facebook. The difference is that you don’t have to pay the affiliate directly after they promote your product or service — you can instead, create a commission or salary off the affiliate’s earnings. In other words, you’re partnering with an affiliate to gain exposure and earn money. Before you begin your affiliate marketing journey, it’s recommended that you explore the various niche markets within the affiliate world and find one that you feel comfortable with.
Build A Reputation
Just as with any other form of marketing, you’ll never make money off online ads if you don’t have a reputation. The key is to establish yourself as a professional in your chosen field by consistently creating high-quality content that is worth reading and/or listening to. If you can do that, then you’re sure to make a good name for yourself within the affiliate marketing community. Some ways to build a reputation include:
- Pro-actively engage with customers on social media sites — especially if your company has a significant audience. This will not only help you establish yourself as an expert in your field, but it will also attract potential customers who are looking for advice.
- Join industry-specific forums where you can engage with other professionals. Doing so will not only allow you to show off your expertise, but it will also establish you as a thought leader in your chosen field — which in turn, can lead to more lucrative partnerships with affiliate marketers.
- Offer value-added content such as guides, how-to guides, and curated lists that are useful for your target audience. Doing so can lead to greater engagement and higher conversion rates — meaning you’re more likely to earn money off online ads.
Once you’ve built up a reputation as an expert in your chosen field, the next step is to find ways to monetize that knowledge. The simplest and most common way to do so is to use affiliate marketing, but there are many other techniques you can use including:
- Display ads, which are paid ads that usually appear in the form of a text description or an image alongside a hyperlink. Endangered Species Chocolate uses display ads to get their message across. You can learn more about display ads here.
- Video ads, which work in a very similar manner to display ads and are often used to promote products or services through a video.
- The above-mentioned affiliate marketing, which as mentioned previously, is when you partner with an affiliate to gain exposure and earn money. Typically, you’ll set up a system where you’re paying the affiliate commissions on products that they bring in, but you won’t have to pay them directly. Instead, you’ll make money from the commissions (paid by the product seller)
- Pay-per-click (PPC) advertising, where you’ll pay each time a user clicks on your ad. Generally, you’ll set a daily budget and pay-per-click ads will only appear when there’s a click-through. Think of a Google search where you click on an ads and then jump directly to that product or service’s website. In this type of advertising, you’re not paying for the ad itself, you’re paying for the click. You can learn more about pay-per-click ads here.
Keep Track Of What You’re Making
To know if your efforts are paying off, you’ll need to keep track of what’s happening. The easiest way to do this is by setting up a business-specific email address for your company. Then, you can send yourself an email whenever you make a sale (through any of the above methods) or earn a commission. This way, you’ll know immediately whether or not your efforts are paying off.
If you can combine these four crucial steps into one process, you’re sure to reap the benefits of a profitable online business. Remember, the more you put in, the more you’re going to get back. So, don’t be afraid to put in the extra time and effort to learn the ins and outs of affiliate marketing. The rewards can be significant.